Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Back for More

When we woke Tyler up to start his TPN yesterday, we discovered that he had a temperature of 100.9. We're supposed to call the SCCA anytime he has a fever of at least 100 degrees, so we called in to see what we should do. Although I did my best to talk them out of it, the decided we really needed to come back to UWMC and see if we can find the source of the fever. We left home about midnight, so I was thankful that the majority of our drive was on freeways and the snow/ice had been driven away from those stretches of road. Meanwhile, Tyler's fever continued to climb through the night.

Today they are telling us that they will want to observe him for about 48 hours, but they are hoping that they can actually let us go home tomorrow. Since Tyler is no longer neutropenic, it bodes well for our escape from the hospital. They figure his body can help do some of the fighting of any infection that might be in his system. With luck, they will be able to identify the source of the fever and give us the correct treatment for it.

The UW staff has been great though! Several of the nurses have come by to say hi to us, even if they weren't officially assigned to Tyler today. It's nice to see so many familiar faces, although we would rather have run into them at the grocery store as one of the nurses suggested to us.

Wish us luck in getting the fever to break today and in getting home safely tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bledsoe family,
    Just wanted to let you know that I found your blog out here in cyberspace...via Annie's "Living With CML" blog. My adult son who is 26 years old was diagnosed with CML in May 2008. He has already had a bone marrow transplant in August of 2008. He was in blast crisis when he was diagnosed and also had cells in his CSF. He had to receive intrathecal Methotrexate to clear his CSF. His WBC were 400,000 when he was diagnosed and his hematocrit was only 10!!! He had to be emergently cytoreduced with chemo and it was all quite scary and shocking to say the least. I am also a nurse and have been his caregiver for the last seven months. If you ever have any questions or need anything, please feel free to contact me. Of course, we are still going through this process...long story for another day. Obviously I have a blog written from a mother's perspective on all this...I will keep you all in my prayers.